Here is a list of over the counter medicines every mother is encouraged to have for peace of mind when baby “common” illnesses. This is just a guideline and remember to check with your health care provider before administering any medication to your child.
- Pain Relief– This will help relieve baby from fever, teething pains, toothaches, sore throats and headaches. Calpol, Ponstan and Paracet are some good examples. Check the label and make sure you are giving the correct dose.
- Saline Nasal Drops– These are handy when your little one has a congested nose which makes it difficult for them to breath, suckle and sleep. You might have to fight but put a few drops in the congested nose to liquefy the mucus and make it easier to remove. You can also use the extractor to suck it out. Follow the instructions on the box.
- Coughs & Colds– 4C’s is good for bringing a sniffling, coughing baby back to health. Give the required dosage at the right time. DO NOT overmedicate!
- Rehydration– Baby may have diarrhea for various reasons such as adjusting to formula, teething, a new type of food and so on. It is very important to replace the fluids lost in a timely way through oral rehydration. You can buy rehydration sachets at any pharmacy or make your own sugar salt solution (SSS) at home with 1L clean, boiled water, 1/2 a level teaspoon of salt and 6 level teaspoons of sugar. Allow it to cool before giving it to the child.
- Teething– As the teeth pierce through the gums, baby will be very uncomfortable and quite possibly in a lot of pain. A bit of teething gel rubbed on the gums every few hours, numbs the gums and brings comfort. Remember to wash your hands before applying the gel on baby’s gums.
- Bumps & Scrapes– Betadine is good for drying minor scrapes and wounds as well as preventing infections. Clean the wound with warm water and a cotton ball then apply Betadine.
Do share any medication you like to keep handy if there is anything we’ve missed.
More articles you might like:
SisuSami a Pregnancy related products and services FREE classifieds website. Post and buy items listed here for FREE – No charges for registering and posting your items… Don’t forget to read our blog and follow us on @SisuSami Facebook page. Contact us to submit your own articles.