Sundays in my home are all about sitting down to a yummy but low effort brunch after church and really just relaxing and spending time together as a family. Emphasis on ‘low effort’ because Sundays are a chill day and for many, it’s a chance to recuperate and re-energize for the week ahead. I’ve put together a recipe for Oatmeal Muffins which is simple enough for the whole family to pitch in, yes, even the little ones. My 18 month old hands me the cups and spoons. It’s also very quick; Prep Time 15 mins, Cook Time 25 mins so it’s all ready in 40 mins and you have fresh, healthy muffins that the whole family will enjoy. The ingredients below make 12 muffins but I usually double it up to make 24 which I bake at the same time and if no-one’s being greedy because they’re just too yummy, then they last till about Friday or Saturday. They are great as packed lunches too with a fruit, yoghurt or a salad and some juice.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup cake / self raising flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Alternatively you could use
- 1 cup all purpose flour + 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Grease muffin cups with margarine or a bit of oil or line with paper muffin liners.
- In a small bowl, combine milk and oats; let soak for 15 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, beat together egg and oil; stir in oatmeal mixture. In a third bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir flour mixture into wet ingredients, just until combined. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups until cups are 2/3 full.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Let them cool then take them out and enjoy
I usually tidy up while the muffins are baking and by the time they are done we can all sit down to our delicious brunch and truly relax because there’s no mess to worry about. Go on, give it a try. You won’t regret it.
More articles you might like:
SisuSami a Pregnancy related products and services FREE classifieds website. Post and buy items listed here for FREE – No charges for registering and posting your items… Don’t forget to read our blog and follow us on @SisuSami Facebook page. Contact us to submit your own articles.