Dental care is generally very important but more so when you are pregnant because pregnancy hormones may cause the gums to be very sensitive, inflamed or even bleed.This is also known as gingivitis and is common from about the 15th week of pregnancy onward.
How to stop bleeding gums.
- See your Dentist regularly.
- Although brushing does initially make the gums bleed, brushing teeth twice a day, morning and evening eliminates plaque which makes the gums more prone to bleeding so keep your teeth clean.
- Brush your tongue. This helps to minimize bacteria in the mouth.
- Use mouthwash twice a day. Ask your dentist which one is safe to use during pregnancy.
- Brush or at least rinse your mouth after you throw up if you’re experiencing morning sickness. This removes acid and bacteria in your mouth which can lead to bleeding gums.
- Use dental floss three times a week to remove food that gets caught between your teeth.
- Skip the sweets and dried fruit especially if you can’t brush right after. Opt for nuts (if you’re not allergic). They have antibacterial properties.
- Gum disease is more common in people who have diabetes so keep your blood sugar levels under control.
- Smoking makes gum disease worse so you may want to give that up. You are not supposed to be smoking while pregnant anyway.
Untreated gingivitis can lead to periodontitis, which weakens the tissue and bone that keep your teeth anchored in your jaw meaning you could possibly lose a tooth or two. This only happens when the disease is left untreated until it gets to an advanced stage so see your dentist as soon as you notice bleeding and tender gums. Make sure to tell the dentist that you are pregnant so you do not have any xrays unless you urgently need one and if you need a local anesthetic for dental work, anytime during pregnancy experts say it is safe.
Some experts seem to think that there is a link between gum disease and premature delivery and low birth weight however research has shown differing opinions on that. Rather stay on the safe side and keep your teeth and gums clean!
SisuSami a Pregnancy related products and services FREE classifieds website. Post and buy items listed here for FREE – No charges for registering and posting your items… Don’t forget to read our blog and follow us on @SisuSami Facebook page. Contact us to submit your own articles.